Mount Etna up to 3000 meters | Etna Nord
What will you see during the excursion:
The excursion up to more less 3000 meters on Mount Etna starts from Piano Provenzana, Etna Nord. With comfortable 4×4 buses you will drive via the unpaved road up the volcano to the astrophysical observatory Pizzi Deneri located at 2805 meters.
Along the way you can enjoy beautiful views of old craters, the contrast between nature and lava and beautiful views to the sea.
Once you arrive at 2805 meters you will do a small trek up to an altitude of 2865 meters (altitude depending on the activity of the volcano). From this viewpoint you can see the famous Valle del Bove, underneath the North-East crater. The volcano guide will tell you a lot about the volcano here. From here you have also a breathtaking view on the Sicilian coast.
Then you return to the 4×4 bus and descend to 2200 meters altitude. Here you will make a second stop after which a short trek of about 20 minutes follows over the edge of the crater of the 2002 eruption. Through a moderately steep path over lava sand you will descend to the 4×4 bus that will drive you back to Piano Provenzana.
The Mount Etna up to 3000 meters excursions start every day from 10.00 hour in the morning. The last tour starts around 15.30 hour in the afternoon. Only with a reservation we can guarantee your departure time. Without reservation you might need to wait until the 4×4 bus is fully booked!
- Duration: 2,5 hours approximately
- Starting point altitude: 1800 meters
- Highest point: 2865 meters
- Difficulty: Good for tourists
Please let us know your preferred time for the excursion.
A few tips:
- Book always in advance
- Book this Mount Etna tour on the first day you can visit Mount Etna, this way you can always reschedule your Mount Etna visit to another day, in case of bad weather!
- You can park your car at Piano Provenzana (paid parking)
Guides & languages
The Mount Etna up to 3000 meters tour is guided by trained volcano guides. These guides speak Italian, English & French and will tell you a lot about the volcano and craters during the hike. Please indicate your language preference when requesting the tour, so we can try to take this into account when planning the tour.
Costs Mount Etna up to 3000 meters excursion
Departure time for the Mount Etna up to 3000 meters excursion is daily at: 10.30 – 13.30 and 15.30 hour.
- Adult: € 66,00 per person
- Children under 12 years: € 48,00 per child
We recommend wearing good walking shoes during the hike. These are also available for rent at the souvenir stores. Also you should wear layers of clothing and bring a jacket (can also be rented). The weather can change quickly in the mountains. You will also experience more wind at 2865 meters.
Food & drink
Always take something to drink and eat with you during the excursion. You can buy something to eat or drink in one of the 2 bars at Piano Provenzana before departure with the 4×4 bus for the Mount Etna up to 3000 meter excursion.
- If you suffer from heart problems you cannot do this excursion.
- Do you have knee problems? Again, we don’t recommend the tour, because of the trekking that is done on a terrain that is impervious and you have to do a lot of strength on your knees. Otherwise you can freely and comfortably do the bus trip without doing the trek.
- The Mount Etna up to 3000 meters excursion is not recommended for pregnant women, due to driving on the unpaved road and the height difference. If you are pregnant and want to do the excursion, you need a signed document from your doctor for all responsibilities.
Languages spoken by guides