Mount Etna cable car from 1900 m up to 2500 m
Discover the Etna volcano in a fun way, by yourself? Take the cable car from Rifugio Sapienza to 2500 m high. From here you have a beautiful view of the lava landscape with old craters.
Attention: this excursion is at Etna South – Rifugio Sapienza. Not at Piano Provenzana!
Itinerary Mount Etna cable car
The cable car departs from Rifugio Sapienza. After paying, you can take it up. The ride in the cable car takes about 15 minutes. You get off at an altitude of 2500 meters.
From 2500 meters you have a beautiful view of old lava flows and at the back on extinct craters. At this altitude you can stay as long as you want and then you can go back down again by cable car. You may decide when to take the Etna cable car back down from 2500 meters to 1900 meters, but keep in mind the closing time of the cable car (16.00 hour)!
Starttime and availability
The Etna cable car is open everyday from 08.45 hour to 16.10 hour. The last descent is at 15.50 hour.
You can choose your own starting time. Our suggestion is to go early in the morning, as there are often more clouds during the day.
We ALWAYS suggest you to book in advanced, for 3 reasons:
- You can skip the line at the ticket-office*
- You get all the information about where to go and how to get there
- We give you tips where to go for a walk after taking the cable car
- Child rate for children up to 12 years old instead of 10 years old.
* If you book with Piano Provenzana you get a voucher. With this voucher you can skip the line and go directly to the ticket-office to pay your tickets and go up with the cable car!
Our service is completely free of charge. You pay NOTHING extra with a reservation than if you don’t make a reservation and wait in line. You also pay nothing in advance, but simply on the day of the excursion. In short: no risk, only benefits!
We advice you to arrive 30 minutes before you want to go up with the Etna cable car. This way you have enough time to park your car (paid parking!), to go to a bathroom if you need, to take some pictures and to walk in direction of the cable car. But most important of all: get used to the altitude.
Price mount Etna cable car to 2500m
Price Etna cable car
When you book online with Piano Provenzana, you get the advantage of skipping the line at the ticket-office. On busy days, this quickly means saving 30 minutes of your time! (see picture below)
Price from March 1, 2023
- Adults: € 50,00 per person round trip
- Children: € 30,00 per person round trip
- Children 0-4 years: free, when they sit on the laps of their parents/caregivers
* Please note: for children from 5 to 12 years old the child price applies if you book trough Pianoprovenzana.com. If you go to the ticket office yourself, without a voucher from Pianoprovenzana.com the child price only applies for children up to 10 years old!
You can pay at the ticket office on the day of the excursion by presenting your reservation. We don’t ask any prepayment! You can pay for the excursion by cash, ATM or credit card.
✓ Etna Cable car from Rifugio Sapienza to 2500m round trip
✓ Skip-the-line voucher
✓ Tips for a hike at 2500 meters
X Drinks and food
X Rental jacket and/or shoes (not obligatory)
You will receive a voucher from Pianoprovenzana.com when you book this excursion. With this voucher you have priority (special queue on the right) at the Etna cable car ticket off
Requirements Mount Etna cable car
Depending on the time of year for this tour, the temperature can be very low. Often it is the wind that makes it feel cold.
Therefore, be sure to wear layered clothing and a good windproof jacket. A hat and scarf are also helpful! If you do not have a hat, consider a hoodie, for example. It is also advisable to wear good closed shoes. For example, hiking boots or sports shoes with good grip.
Keep in mind that even in high season the temperature at Mount Etna drops. We therefore always recommend to bring a jacket!
Rental clothes and shoes
It is also possible to rent a jacket and/or shoes. You can go to one of the souvenir shops for this rental service or rent a jacket at the office at 2500 meters after you leave the cable car.
- Rental jacket: € 5,00
- Rental shoes: € 5,00
Food and drinks
If you want to bring food and drinks on the tour you can buy something in one of the restaurants and bars at Etna South. Or you can buy something at the bar at 2500 meters after you leave the cable car.
Restrictions Mount Etna cable car
Taking the cable car is not recommended for children of 0 – 3 months. Because of the altitude, they can quickly suffer from ear problems.
There are no other specific restrictions for taking the cable car. Always check your own healthy before going to another altitude.
A few tips:
- Book always in advance
- Book this Mount Etna tour on the first day you can visit Mount Etna, this way you can always reschedule your Mount Etna visit to another day, in case of bad weather!
- Wear colored clothes, it looks nicer in the pictures!
Looking for a more complete excursion? You can also choose to take the cable car to 2500 meters and the 4×4 bus to bring you 4-5 km up to 2750 meters! Find out more about this option here: Mount Etna Cable car + 4×4 bus to 2750 meters.
Ottimo servizio, gentili e disponibili, ci hanno permesso di avere il biglietto ridotto per il ragazzo di 12 anni