How to get to Piano Provenzana
Reaching the national park of Mount Etna with the Etna Volcano is relatively easy. From any tourist destination in Sicily you can easily reach the volcano, either by car or by bus.
Mount Etna is visible from every part of Sicily, but to admire the volcano closely there are only two points where you can freely go up with your car and arrive at an altitude of 1900 meters:
- The Etna Nord – Piano Provenzana, this side is much quieter and more natural;
- The Etna Sud – Rifugio Sapienza, this side is very touristic and commercial.
If you want to reach the North side of Mount Etna, you need a car or rent a car and follow the signs to Linguaglossa, Etna North.
The tourist area of Piano Provenzana can be reached by taking the A18 Catania – Messina freeway. Then take the exit at Fiumefreddo di Sicilia, and continue to Linguaglossa along the S.S. 120.
At the center of Linguaglossa turn left on Via Umberto and follow the signs for Etna Nord arriving on the Strada Regionale Mareneve. Go straight up for 18 kilometers through hairpin bends and vegetation until you reach Piano Provenzana.
Driving along the Mareneve by car is a true spectacle. The landscape is impressive, in every sense of the word. To get to know it better, the best thing is to drive up one road and down the other road. The greatest contrast is offered by the route that goes up from Linguaglossa.
In winter you may find snow or frost on the road, so be careful when driving.
We always remind you that snow chains or snow tires are obligatory on all mountain roads starting from the highway exit of Fiumefreddo di Sicilia.
“The general rule says that snow tires, or alternatively on-board chains, must be kept from November 15, 2021 through April 15, 2022.”
Even if you drive at night or when xc there is fog, it is advisable to be very careful and reduce your speed.
If you want to reach the North side of Mount Etna comfortably without driving, there are several solutions. You can book private tours with organized pick-up service. Or you can book a jeep tour that leave directly from your accommodation.
In summer you can take advantage of an open tour bus that leaves from Taormina and goes up to Piano Provenzana.
By public transport you can reach the town of Linguaglossa, but from this point there is no public transport connection to Piano Provenzana unfortunatly.
There are several possibilities to travel to Sicily and arrive near Mount Etna
- By plane in the airport of Catania Fontanarossa arrive daily national and international flights.
- By train with the F.S. you can reach the station of Giardini Naxos – Taormina or Fiumefreddo di Sicilia directly from the airport of Catania.
- By local train F.c.e the circumetnea, a local diesel train that passes through the town of Piedimonte Etnea, and you can reach the station of Linguaglossa.
- By ship arriving in the harbour of Catania or of Messina
- By bus with the connection Flixbus you can arrive in Catania and then with F.C.E you can reach the town Linguaglossa.
- Also by camper the roads are easily accessible.
- By car (or rent a car) which remains the most suitable option. Since you are independent and you can explore the North side of Etna also in your own time.